The Big Give Christmas Challenge returns from 30 November until 7 December. Help us raise £70,000 to provide opportunities for young dancers from underrepresented groups to realise their full potential.
Classical ballet lacks diversity in its workforce and leadership, with structural barriers such as the cost of ballet training and lack of relatable role models creating inequality of opportunity.
We are raising funds to address this inequality at the earliest possible stage with our new programme, Ballet Futures.
We need your help to invest in the talent pipeline: this is one of the ways we can ensure the future face of ballet reflects and celebrates the diversity of our society.
Thanks to our generous match funders, every pound that you give during the Big Give Christmas Challenge will be doubled, so your gift has twice the impact.
About Ballet Futures
Ballet Futures: The Pipeline Project is a children’s training programme that will encourage and incentivise more dancers from traditionally underrepresented groups (African Diaspora, Caribbean, South Asian and South East Asian heritage) to participate in professional ballet training at the earliest possible point.
Run in association with dance schools nationwide, this platform will provide gifted and talented young dancers aged 8 and above the training and space to grow into their potential as young artists.
Following an audition, the participants will receive
- free weekly training at their local dance school
- support towards shoes and school uniform
- the chance to work with English National Ballet dancers, artists and teachers throughout the year
- backstage access to English National Ballet’s home in London, the Mulryan Centre for Dance, with additional support for travel to and from East London
Twice a year, an English National Ballet representative will also visit the schools to offer class, host a Q and A and share feedback and support.
Ballet Futures: The Pipeline Project begins its pilot phase from January 2022 at Dupont Dance Stage School in Leicester, Janet Lomas School of Dancing in Greater Manchester, and the West London School of Dance.
With the aim of addressing inequalities around diversity within the workforce in classical ballet, we hope this project will impact young dancers, schools, our company, the art form, and our communities at large.
“We all know representation has a huge effect especially on the younger minds. We have a duty to make them aware they are capable of anything they put their mind to, with support and encouragement of the elders around them”Shevelle Dynott, former Artist of the Company and facilitator on the Ballet Futures programme
“I believe that the impact that Ballet Futures will have on ENB will be extremely wonderful, where I feel like it may encourage more diversity in all the other teams within the organisation, which may well establish more of a sense of belonging amongst all employees.
Plus, I hope that it will inspire creativity and encourage cultural innovation.
By cultivating more exposure and inclusivity into the professional side of this sector in the arts, I am so excited to see an up and coming generation of young dancers from all kinds of representatives that will hopefully go on to pursue a career in ballet.”Sarah Kundi, First Artist and member of the Ballet Futures leadership team
How you can help
Please show your support by donating during The Big Give Christmas Challenge (12pm on 30 Nov – 12pm on 7 Dec).
Your gift, whatever the size, will make a real difference. Any donation made via The Big Give website will be doubled, up to our target of £35,000. This means that, for one week only, your donation will go twice as far and we will be able to raise £70,000. All donations – big and small – are gratefully received.
How to donate
- The Big Give Christmas Challenge 2021 opens at 12pm (midday) on Tuesday 30 November (#GivingTuesday) and closes 7 days later, at 12pm (midday) on Tuesday 7 December.
- Donate any amount from £1 to £25,000. All major debit and credit cards (including American Express) are accepted.
- If you are a UK tax-payer, we would be very grateful if you tick the Gift Aid box so that we also receive the tax paid on your donation.
- Help us to spread the word! We will be promoting the campaign on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Please share and help us to reach as many people as possible so that we can hit our fundraising target and double our donations this Christmas.