Ballet Futures: The Pipeline Project is a children’s training programme that will encourage and incentivise more dancers from traditionally underrepresented groups (African Diaspora, Caribbean, South Asian and South East Asian heritage) to participate in professional ballet training at the earliest possible point.
“I believe that there are spaces to be filled in the dance training system for young artists who are representative of the world we live in, the stories we want to tell, and the people who tell them. I am excited that by working with dance schools for children, this project will enable gifted and talented individuals to find their place in the dance world in the future.”Tamara Rojo, Artistic Director of English National Ballet
Run in association with dance schools nationwide, this platform will provide gifted and talented young dancers aged 8 and above the training and space to grow into their potential as young artists.
Following an audition, the participants will receive
- free weekly training at their local dance school
- support towards shoes and school uniform
- the chance to work with English National Ballet dancers, artists and teachers throughout the year
- backstage access to English National Ballet’s home in London, the Mulryan Centre for Dance, with additional support for travel to and from East London
“It is imperative that we enable and support the underrepresented youth of today by providing training and opportunities, combined with being holistically nurtured, enabling them to flourish and fly”Sarah Kundi, First Artist and member of the Ballet Futures Leadership Team
Twice a year, an English National Ballet representative will also visit the schools to offer class, host a Q and A and share feedback and support.
From March 2022, we will also be working with Nina Monteiro Ballet School in east London and Spotlight Stage School in Birmingham. Auditions are now open: if your child is aged 8-12 and your family is of African Diaspora, Caribbean, South Asian or South East Asian heritage, and they would like to audition to take part in Ballet Futures please email
- Nina Monteiro at Nina Monteiro Ballet School: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vicky Richards at Spotlight Stage School: email@example.com
- Auditions at Dupont Dance Stage School are now complete for 2022. Register your interest in future auditions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Auditions at West London School of Dance are now complete for 2022. Register your interest in future auditions: email@example.com
- Auditions at Janet Lomas School of Dancing TBA
“We all know representation has a huge effect especially on the younger minds. We have a duty to make them aware they are capable of anything they put their mind to, with support and encouragement of the elders around them”Shevelle Dynott, former Artist of the Company and facilitator on the Ballet Futures programme
With the aim of addressing inequalities around diversity within the workforce in classical ballet, we hope this project will impact young dancers, schools, our company, the art form, and our communities at large.
If you run a school and would like to take part in this important project, please contact Kerry Nicholls