English National Ballet is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
Last updated: August 2017
English National Ballet is committed to respecting and protecting your personal information and aims to be transparent about what information we hold about you, whichever way you are connected with us.
The purpose of this Policy is to explain how English National Ballet collects, uses and protects any information that you provide when using this website or interacting with a member of our team.
Developing a better understanding of all of you who engage with us – from class attendees and website users to our members and Patrons – by collecting and using personal data allows us to work more effectively and efficiently with you. This ultimately helps us provide a better, more tailored service that we hope encourages you to get closer to our work and enjoy everything English National Ballet has to offer.
- Who we are;
- What information we may collect about you and when;
- How we might use your information;
- How we protect your information; and
- Your choices regarding the information you provide.
2. Contact Information
English National Ballet
39 Jay Mews
London, SW7 2ES
3. Who are we?
English National Ballet is registered as a Data Controller under the Data Protection Act 1998. Further details can be found on the ICO website.
English National Ballet has a trading subsidiary, English National Ballet Enterprises Limited (company number 2361077). English National Ballet and its subsidiaries are independent and separate from English National Ballet School which is a separate legal entity and charity (number 2319478, company number 2319478).
4. When do we collect information?
We collect personal information from you when you speak to or email a member of our team or a volunteer, register on our website, donate, book for an event, subscribe to a newsletter, respond to a survey or fill out a form, or provide any other information in any way. We use this information to help us give you the best possible experience of English National Ballet.
Third party services may also collect information on our behalf, such as when you are booking a ticket for a production at a venue: English National Ballet does not host its own box office so ticket bookings for our performances will always take place on a third party site with separate privacy policies.
5. What information do we collect?
Depending on the reason for interacting with us, we may collect and hold the following information from you:
- your name;
- contact information including email and postal address;
- demographic information including age and gender;
- bank card and/or account details (if you’re paying for a class, event or membership) which are only used as in accordance with section (6) and protected as described in section (10);
- transaction and order details;
- your contact preferences; and
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers;
Data Protection law recognises that certain categories of personal information are more sensitive. Sensitive personal data includes information about your health, race, religious beliefs and political opinions. We do not collect this kind of information about our users unless there is a clear reason for doing so, such as participation in a Dance for Parkinson’s class or if you would like an accessible seat at an event. We only use this information to ensure we can provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to connect with us.
6. How do we use this information?
The information you provide may be used in the following ways:
- to fulfil sales and purchases;
- to process card payments and set up direct debits (we do not store your card details following the completion of your transaction);
- to contact you for the fulfilment or completion of a purchase, promotion, class, membership or donation;
- to invite you to participate in surveys or research;
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically consented to receive communications from us;
- for fundraising purposes (see below);
- to develop aggregated data (i.e. no individuals’ names or details are included) for analysis and reporting to stakeholders such as Arts Council England;
- to analyse and improve the activities and content offered;
- to better understand the history of your relationship with us (what performances and events you have attended) and your personal preferences;
7. English National Ballet will not…
We will not sell, rent, trade or distribute your personal information to third parties unless we have your prior permission or are required by law to do so. We may sometimes share your information with trusted service providers (e.g. mailing houses) who are authorised to act on our behalf. You can opt-out by using the contact information detailed in section (9).
It is your choice whether you want to receive information about our performances, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved, and you can decide how you want us to contact you. Please get in touch if you would like to change your contact preferences at any time. You may opt-out of our communications by clicking any ‘unsubscribe’ link. However, we may retain your details on a suppression list to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
8. Young People
We are committed to protecting the privacy of the young people that engage with our work. If you are under 16, please ensure that you obtain your parent/guardian’s consent before and whenever you provide personal information.
Our Ballet Buddies scheme requests specific information about the age of members, so we can send birthday cards and other related benefits. This information usually comes to us from a parent or guardian, however, if you are purchasing a Ballet Buddy membership for a child who is not primarily in your care please ensure you have their parent/guardian’s consent and are happy for us to hold this information about someone under 16, before signing them up as a Ballet Buddy.
English National Ballet fundraises from individuals, companies and foundations who want to help the Company achieve its mission to bring world-class ballet to the widest possible audience.
We may do some limited research before contacting individuals or organisations to understand if there is a potential connection or shared interest. We also carry out research about our current supporters so we can provide the best experience possible, tailor our communications and suggest relevant opportunities to get closer to our work. We aim to ensure that we are contacting you with the most relevant and timely communications and ultimately provide an improved experience for you. To do this, we use the information that you provide. We may also:
- break down the information we hold on our database (for example, we might send information to a specific group of people who live in the same area);
- analyse donations already made to English National Ballet; and
- use publicly available data about you (for example, from LinkedIn, Companies House, Charity Commission and legitimate media sources to create a profile of your interests and preferences.
You can opt out of your data being used for this kind of profiling and unsubscribe from future communications by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
In some circumstances, we collect and use personal information while relying on the legal basis of ‘legitimate interest’. When we believe we have a legitimate organisational interest in using your personal information to contact you, respond to you, or process your donation in line with our values, we will process your data in this manner whilst making sure there is no overriding prejudice that will negatively affect you. We may, for example, send you service communications confirming a direct debit instruction or when you request to receive benefits as part of a membership scheme. We also ensure we have the necessary internal procedures in place to protect our ethical standards, organisational security or risk of fraud.
10. How do we protect your information?
Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and who are required to keep the information secure and confidential. All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
We only keep your personal information for as long as is required to operate the service you have signed up for, and in accordance with legal requirements and tax and accounting rules. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of, deleted or cached in a secure manner.
11. How can I change or access the information you hold about me?
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us and you can help keep our records up to date by telling us when your contact details and other personal information changes, and if you change your mind about how we contact you. If you would like to update the details we hold or change your contact preferences please email email@example.com.
You may request details of the personal information we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information held please write to:
English National Ballet
39 Jay Mews
London, SW7 2ES