Purpose of Role
By supporting English National Ballet’s vision, the Director will create and grow a sustainable and innovative (globally reaching) mixed-fundraising model that incorporates a strong diversified portfolio to increase ENB’s access to statutory/new funding and private investments (individual, corporates, trusts and foundations), whilst nurturing existing donors and HNWI relationships.
The Director will provide strategic direction and leadership across all fundraising channels and deliver ethical fundraising strategies to enable ENB to meet (and wherever possible exceed) its fundraising targets. The Director will be instrumental in capitalising on our new building, promoting a high-performance culture and support collaborative and integrated working across the Company.
Key responsibilities include Strategy, Team Management, Senior Stakeholder Management, Communications, Finance and Compliance, and delivering these will require the skills, knowledge and experience as outlined in the Person Specification.
Strategic Leadership and Stakeholder Relations
- Experience of successfully developing and delivering fundraising strategies that achieve and exceed targets, including leading varied fundraising and partner/donor retention strategies and programmes nationally and internationally
- Experienced in positively managing relationships and able to act as an ambassador for ENB to gain the confidence and respect of key stakeholders at every level
- Evidenced networking skills and portfolio to manage UHNWI relationships
- Proven leadership and management skills, with experience of managing and growing high performing teams that easily exceed targets within their respective customer portfolio
- Experienced in driving forward pragmatic resourcing and succession plans to develop, retain or attract talent within and into the Company.
Experience and Knowledge
- Demonstrable experience of working with corporate governance, Trustees and volunteer committees, preferably in the Arts
- Proven experience of successfully leading organisations to exceed agreed targets within in a mixed funding environment, maximising revenue and keeping donors satisfied and engaged with the Company
- Evidenced implementation of fundraising and compliance frameworks, including General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) & Privacy and Electronics Communications and Regulations (PECR).
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to identify and articulate the Company’s key fundraising assets in a persuasive and compelling way.
- Confidently manages complex situations and personalities with tactful diplomacy and discretion, communicating in a professional manner.
- Experienced networker with excellent social skills, adapting to and being empathetically understanding of their audience or environment always.
- Demonstrates being calm when under pressure and manages conflicting demands with a solutions focussed approach.
- Acute self-awareness and of others in a progressive and demanding arts and dance environment
- Performance driven with a professional and ethical approach in all aspects of your work as an ambassador for the Company
- Positive enthusiasm for ENB and the performing arts generally
- Gravitas and confidence to gain respect and credibility at all levels, both internally/across departments and external to the Company.
Hours of working
The nature of the Director’s job is such that their working time is not measured or predetermined. The Director shall currently work the Company’s business hours (10am to 6pm, Monday to Friday), with additional hours as may be necessary in the performance of the role
Normal place of work
English National Ballet, 41 Hopewell Square, London E14 0QL
Deadline for applications
9am on 27 August 2019
1st stage interviews: w/c 9 September 2019
2nd stage interviews: w/c 16 and/or 23 September 2019
Your supporting statement should:
- outline how you meet the criteria as detailed in the person specification
- include why you are interested in working for English National Ballet
- provide details of what you would bring to the Company
- state your salary expectations