You will have improvisatory skills and good score-reading skills, and be comfortable adapting and arranging music to suit the class. You will co-lead sections of the class, developing vocal and rhythmic ideas and have an interest in, and ideally experience, in working in dance for different groups, including adults, older people, people with dementia, Parkinson’s and disabilities.
English National Ballet and DanceEast (Ipswich, Suffolk), two of the UK’s leading dance organisations, share a vision towards the power of dance to inspire and enrich the lives of people with Parkinson’s. Since 2014, classes have taken place at the home of DanceEast in Ipswich and have developed into a welcoming and friendly class, building a community that shares a passion for dance.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge, understanding and interest in performing music for dance
- Keyboard skills are desirable or a valid alternative (we welcome a creative approach towards instrumentation)
- Be able to simplify the musical score, so that the important / relevant aspects are made clear to non-musically literate members of the class
- Be experienced in working creatively in community contexts
- Be able to select and/or adapt appropriate musical accompaniment in collaboration with the DfP Facilitator for people with Parkinson’s to dance to, whilst retaining the essence of the ballet
- Have the confidence to lead the class musically
- Maintain a positive approach at all times
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
Fee: Artists are contracted termly for classes and training days
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk
Deadline for applications: 10am on Monday 20 August 2018
Shortlisted applicants will need to be available to participate in a practical workshop and an interview at DanceEast (Ipswich, Suffolk) on Saturday 8 September (please leave a full day available for this).
How to apply
Download the full job description, then please send your CV and covering letter providing evidence of your ability and experience, and the names of your two most referees to email@example.com.
Applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS and to obtain their own public liability insurance.